Let me start the article by wishing all you wonderful women a very happy women’s day! We at Satyn, admire and appreciate the strength and courage you show every day and the grace with which you lead your lives.
It is true that every year on the 8th of March, people all around the globe come together to speak of the wonder that is women. We get flowers, cards and tokens of appreciation, and it is all very nice and thoughtful. But is that enough? Women are abused, assaulted, and shamed on a daily basis. They still have to keep their heads up and get on with their lives, despite having so many things go wrong for them. Where are all these people claiming to support women when they really need it?
This is why the international women’s day should go beyond just one day of celebration. Restaurant and retail discounts can only help so much. We have to tackle the real issues and stand strong for the women that make the world a better place.
The theme for this year’s women’s day is #PressforProgress. The World Economic Forum’s 2017 Gender Gap Report had findings that stated it would take more than 200 years to achieve complete gender parity. (https://www.wherewomenwork.com/Career/640/Global-Gender-Gap-WorldEconomicForum) While it is obvious that none of us would live to see this miracle, we can make sure that the next generations of women, would not have to suffer as much. There’s strong movements of advocacy, activism and support conducted by feminists, both men and women, and times have changed from where they used to be. What started with the white suffrage movements is continues with movements such as #TimesUp and #Metoo. The world is still dark, but at least now, we know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we will get to it, eventually. It won’t happen overnight, but women are certainly getting there.
We’ve achieved something for ourselves, and now let’s #PressforProgress!
Maintain a gender parity mindset
- Question any lack of women’s participation
- Identify alternatives that are more inclusive
- Nominate women for opportunities
- Always include and support women
- Think “50/50” as the goal
Challenge stereotypes and bias
- Question assumptions about women
- Challenge statements that limit women
- Always use inclusive language
- Work to remove barriers to women’s progress
- Buy from retailers who position women in positive ways
Forge positive visibility of women
- Identify ways to make women more visible
- Extend opportunities to women first
- Assume women want opportunities until declined
- Select women as spokespeople and leaders
- Support visible women
Influence others’ beliefs and actions
- Supportively call-out inappropriate behaviour
- Campaign for equality in meaningful ways
- Lead by example via inclusive actions
- Be a role model for equality
- Actively contribute to changing the status quo
Celebrate women’s achievements
- Believe achievement comes in many forms
- Value women’s individual and collective success
- Ensure credit is given for women’s contributions
- Celebrate women role models and their journeys
- Support awards showcasing women’s success
You too can #PressforProgress at https://www.internationalwomensday.com/PressforProgress.