Most of us have been through depression, but not all of us have had the courage, help or the willpower to do something to overcome it, when it was eating us alive. Depression can drain you of energy, hope, drive and life itself. It is no laughing matter, even though some people don’t understand the depths of the hole it creates in the victims.
However, it is time to stop being depressed about depression. You have more control over your thoughts than you realize. Mind before matter, ladies, mind before matter. Taking the first step would be hard but it is far from being impossible. The catch -22 of depression makes the most important things, the most difficult, but don’t give up.
Here are some very simple ways to get over your depression, step by step:
Reach out and stay connected:
The tendency to sulk and moan will be overpowering at times. But you need to channel your inner heroine and get past that initial stage of cowardice to reach out. Make sure the part of you that craves support stands stronger than the side of you that’s ashamed, ignored, exhausted and misunderstood. Just remember, it is not a weakness to reach out to help yourself.
- Look for support in a good listener. Pour all your thoughts out to someone who makes you feel safe and secure.
- Try to have face-to-face interactions.
- Keep up with social activities even though you might not jump of joy at the idea of it.
- Find ways to support others. It might help you feel better that you helped someone else get better, just like you.
- Care for a pet. This way, you’ll feel validated that someone is living solely on your care and love. You’ll also feel less isolated.
Do things that make you feel good:
When you’re depressed, you’ll feel as if nothing in the world can make you happy. You won’t notice the sun rising, or birds singing, or your favorite singer’s newly released song. But this is if, you don’t take charge of doing things to make you feel good, relaxed and recharged.
- Get into a former hobby
- Express yourself through forms of art
- Set up a trip date
- Sleep at least 8 hours
- Take up relaxation techniques, such as yoga, breathing exercises, meditation and muscle relaxation.
Exercise instead of depression:
It could be extremely daunting to get up from bed every day when you’re battling depression. But gather up the courage and hit the gym, ladies. Exercise is a powerful depression fighter and it is as effective as anti-depressants. It also prevents relapse.
- Go for workouts that are continuous and rhythmic.
- Your fatigue will improve, not get worse
- Focus on your body, breathing, movement and the simple sensations
- Find an exercise partner
- Take your dog for a walk.
A healthy and happy diet:
Being depressed can affect your dieting schedules. And it is one thing to be mentally down, but you don’t have to get yourself physically sick because of it.
- Steer away from caffeine, alcohol, trans fat, and food with chemical preservatives or hormones, as they make your case worse.
- Don’t skip meals
- Minimize sugar and refined carbs as the rush you get is temporary
- Boost omega3 vitamins, by consuming fatty fish such as salmon, herring and mackerel